Learning support streams
mPOWER delivers energy system learning exchange between European municipalities with mPOWER facilitators creating a structured learning plan for each participant. All project travel and accommodation costs are covered - we encourage low carbon travel modes where possible.
After an initial learning assessment, municipalities are placed in one of two different learning streams: Exchange or Digital, with Exchange participants also eligible for the Activate incubator.
Timescale: March 2019 - March 2021
Commitment required: 7.5 - 15 hours per calendar month, up to 130 hours in total
Available places: 24
Structured around city visits, mPOWER Exchange enables local authorities to spend face-to-face time exploring, understanding and developing new and existing energy projects.
With five themed learning sets based on geographical location and energy system focus, this highly participatory learning programme is focused on exchanging practical knowledge and expertise.
- Two face-to-face study tour visits to exchange learning and visit exemplar energy projects.
- Online training seminars and meetings.
- Bespoke programme of activities, training and support.
- Expert support to develop a replication plan for best practice.
- End of project event to share experiences and celebrate successes.
- Access the full mPower Digital e-learning programme.
Timescale: March 2020 - April 2021
Commitment required: 18 hours over six weeks.
Available places: 105 over three courses
An online course lasting six weeks, bringing together 30-35 local authorities via an e-learning platform. The course focuses on different energy system themes including smart grids, renewable generation, citizen participation methods and energy efficiency.
Each week, a two hour webinar features guest presentations on specialist topics followed by collective discussion and exchange. Continued learning is supported via reading materials, videos and podcasts and a chat forum for exchange between seminars.
After completion, participants are invited to attend regional learning events and a network of municipalities to support further action.
Timescale: April 2021 - April 2022
Commitment required: Minimum 22.5 hours per month over 12 months,
Available places: 10-15 authorities
Available only to participants of mPOWER Exchange, this is a chance to put learning into practice with five collaborative ‘public-public’ projects created between authorities and/or civil society groups.
Projects could include:
- Joint ownership wind farms
- Innovative models of energy governance
- Public pension funds of energy efficiency projects
Participants will be mentored to collaborate across borders or within member states, to implement ground breaking new projects developed as part of Exchange.
Areas of collaborations might include:
- Training and developing human resources
- Shared technical support
- Shared finance products
- Improving civic participation
How will I be allocated to a learning stream?
Learning stream are against the following criteria:
- Commitment to and involvement in energy system activity.
- Existing energy system knowledge and expertise.
- Ability to act within your institution and scale up action.
- Time availability and capacity to participate.
- Relevant energy system themes.
- Use of peer-learning opportunity.
If I am accepted what next?
After completing an online application, successful applicants will receive a phone interview or field visit. You will be notified on your application by the end of February 2019.